Seattle is coming up and I want to share some interesting fact about the Space Needle. The Space Needle is one of the most famous tourist attractions of Seattle and the observation deck is 520 feet high. It will take you 848 steps to walk from the basement to the top of the observation deck.
- Top of the Space Needle – Aircraft Warning Beacon: 605 feet
- On a hot day the Space Needle expands about one inch
- The Space Needle is approximately 1320 Milky Way bars tall.
- There were more than 200 copyrights for souvenir items during the World’s Fair of which many have become collectibles.
- As an April Fool’s joke a local television station aired a phony report that the Space Needle had fallen over. Emergency phone lines were swamped with calls. The Space Needle received more than 700 calls, even though there was a flashing alert during the entire report telling the audience that it was a joke. One Spokane man even jumped in his car and began driving to Seattle because his daughter worked at the Space Needle.
- The entire Space Needle saucer does not rotate, only a 14-foot ring next to the windows rotates on the SkyCity restaurant level.
- SkyCity Restaurant was named “Best View” by Where Magazine’s Visitors Choice Dining Awards.
- The Space Needle was named the “Best Place to Get Engaged” by the Seattle Weekly.