I’m sure everyone can agree that one of factors which makes British Columbia the most beautiful place to live on earth is its nature. You can see Mother Nature at its finest with breathtaking sights of the mountains, forests, lakes, and most of all, the animals that live here in BC. And whether you have been taking a walk around a lake, a park, or even staring up at the sky, you most definitely will have seen our famous Canadian geese. These birds look so adorable that you just can’t help but feed them your leftover snacks. Although, they can be seriously annoying at times when they come to steal your food!
But how much more does an average Canadian know about the Canadian goose? Well, probably not a whole lot. So I did a little bit of research and here is what I’ve found:
Some of the interesting facts according to the The CornellLab of Ornithology…
Latin name: Branta canadensis
- the oldest known wild Canada Goose was 30 years 4 months old!
- when these birds find a partner to be with, they choose accordingly to their own body size, what is known as “assortatively” mating. That is a bit different the way people find their partners, because we think that love can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, right?
- they build nests on the ground and can lay anywhere from 1-12 eggs
- Canadian geese have 13 different sounds or calls they can make for different reasons!
- When they fly, these birds coordinate what is known as a V-formation, which is basically forming a v-shape with the leader of the pack at the front (you most likely have seen this) for air resistance
- they are devoted to their partners and remain monogamous, which means they will be with the same partner for the rest of their lives! Talk about loyalty and dedication!
INTERNeX International Exchange
Suite 200 – 211 Columbia Street
Vancouver BC -V6A 2R5-
Phone: +1 (604) 662 8149