This post is going to be a little different -we’re going to discuss about some of the ways that can help you cope with culture shock! Many of you already know what culture shock means. Basically, it means when people move to a new country or experience a new culture, a way of life, they feel very disoriented and uneasy. Many of you might feel this during the first few days of your visit here! So here are some tips:
- Stay active -go work out at your local gym or just go jogging around a park! Different country or not, every one exercises!
- Take a hobby outside of working -whether it be playing an instrument or knitting, keep yourself busy with the things you love doing!
- Come out to our pub nights, weekly activities and events – this is a great way to meet people who are in the same situation as you! Get some practical advice from them!
- Make a list of things you want to accomplish during your stay here -keeping small goals helps you stay motivated!
- Stay in touch with your family and friends -it’s important to know that your family or friends back home are just one phone call away, so you are not alone!
- Stay connected with INTERNeX -we are here to help you in any way possible, just come talk to us!
- Decorate your room with the things that remind you of home -on the days you are homesick, your room can give you comfort and ease since it’s familiar to you.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself -take things one day at a time and don’t feel the pressure to know everything. Things will slowly adjust and you’ll most definitely enjoy your time here!
Happy Sunday! 🙂