Today’s expose of the week is with one of our internship candidates; Thao. She grew up in Germany, but is originally from Vietnam. When Thao was deciding where she wanted to go abroad she had the choice between Canada and South Africa and after careful consideration she choose to come to the ‘colder’ north 🙂 She has been with us for quite a few months already, but she will be with us for a total of 7 months. When she first arrived she attended language school to improve her English and is currently doing an internship in the field of event management. I spoke with her to ask her more about her experiences here so far.
1) Is your internship useful?
I have had a lot of experience with customer service already as I worked in retail in Germany before I came here and my internship now is based a lot on that.
2) What kind of tasks are you responsible for on daily basis?
To be at the front desk and welcome customers who want to visit the museum, some to copy, to organize folders, research and when we have a birthday party or event, i help to set up and clean up.
3) What is the best thing about your internship?
I really like my coworker. She has made me feel welcome and helped me a lot during my internship.
4)What do you like most about Canada and Vancouver?
My favourite thing about Vancouver is the fact that there are so many multicultural people and a diverse selection of foods.
5) What trips have you done in your free time, also organized by INTERNeX?
I joined the Seattle trip with INTERNeX in March. I did a lot of shopping there!
6) Do you attend the weekly Pub-Night organized by INTERNeX and do you think this is a good way to meet new people?
It’s a very good way to meet new people, but i don’t attend every pub night as I’m very busy.
7) Why did you choose INTERNeX International Exchange?
I didnt really chose it, I choose a german organisation, which works together with INTERNeX.
8) How did you find a place to stay?
First i used to live in the staffhouse, after that i searched on craiglist and found the room, where i live now.
9) How did INTERNeX International Exchange help you to organize your trip to Canada?
Since I went to language school first I didn’t have much contact with INTERNeX before I actually arrived in Vancouver, it was mostly the other organization that helped me with my trip; except for the information given to me about the staffhouse.
Thank you so much for you time Thao, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay here in Vancouver 🙂