After seventeen glorious days of top athletic competition, Canada says congratulations and goodbye to the world’s top winter athletes and what better way then through a light-hearted Closing Ceremony that poked fun at all of the Canadian stereotypes. The spectacular ceremony full of pomp and circumstance and a tongue-in-cheek homage to Canadiana featured giant inflatable moose, dancing maple leafs and countless other amusing content.
The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, which featured more then 2,600 Olympians was filled with thrilling athletic achievements and rousing displays of patriotism never seen before in such huge masses. The Canadian ‘own the podium’ program has been rightly justified as the country ended with the most gold medals EVER WON at an Olympic Winter Games. With an astonishing total of 14 GOLD MEDALS, ranking us as 3rd in the total medal count. There is no denying that Canadian athletes have achieved an entirely new level of excellence so we will now take the time to honor all those that made it to the podium…
1) GOLD to the Canadian men’s ice hockey team… Way to go Crosby!
2) GOLD to the men’s curling team
3) GOLD for Jay Anderson in the men’s parallel giant slalom
4) GOLD for the men’s team speed skating pursuit
5) GOLD to the men’s short track 500m speed skate relay
6) GOLD for Charles Hamelin in his 500m short track speed skating race
7) GOLD to the women’s ice hockey team
8 ) GOLD to the women’s pair bobsleigh team
9) GOLD for Ashleigh McIVOR in the ladies freestyle skiing event
10) Solid GOLD for the ice dance couple, Scott Moir & Tessa Virtue, for their majestic figure skating performance
11) GOLD for the men’s skeleton champ, John Montgomery and his infamous pitcher of beer…you deserve it buddy!
12) GOLD for Christine Nesbitt who dominated the ladies’ 1000m speed skating event beating her Annette from the Netherlands by just 200hundredths of a second!
13) GOLD for Ricker Maelle in the ladies’ snowboard cross
14) and last but not least GOLD for Alexandre Bilodeau in the men’s moguls…way to go for winning us our first gold medal…you set the tone for the rest of the games!
15) SILVER for the women’s curling team!
16) SILVER to the women’s bobsleigh pair
17) SILVER to Kristina Groves in the ladies’ 1500m speed skating event
18) SILVER for the ladies’ 30o0m short track speed skating relay team
19) SILVER for Marianne St. Gelais in the ladies’ 500m short track speed skating event
20) SILVER for Jennifer Heil in the ladies’ moguls!
21) SILVER for Mike Robertson in the nail biting men’s snowboard cross event
22) BRONZE for the four man bobsleigh team
23) another medal (BRONZE) for Kristina Groves in the ladies’ 3000m speed skating
24) BRONZE for Francois-Louis Tremblay in the men’s 500m short track speed skating event
25) BRONZE for Olympic champion, Clara Hughes. After winning her sixth Olympic medal Hughes says goodbye from the podium and she will be missed!
26) And last but not least one of the most memorable moments out of the 2010 Winter Games is the BRONZE medal for Joannie Rochette who managed to pull through one of the most devastating losses and still stand strong on the podium at the end…Congratulations!
Now even though these winter games featured an unimaginable tragedy on the first day and some bumps along the way, it was the wonderful moments such as those mentioned above that shined above the rest.
Do you believe? Hell yeah CANADA, you made a believer out of us!