With so many restaurants around town, it can get expensive always going out for lunch and dinner. This weekend, why not go out for a picnic with a friend or loved one? Take advantage of the beautiful weather and visit one of Vancouver’s many picnic sites.
Stanley park is a beautiful oasis, surrounded by plenty of trees and nature. It also has many beaches nearby to splash around in, or, you can simply enjoy the sounds of crashing waves. In west Vancouver lies Whytecliff park, where the coastal scenery is beautiful.
Buntzen Lake is perfect for an outing with a group of friends. There’s tons of grass and tables available for your food. Bring a few fishing rods with you, ’cause you never know what you’ll catch! If you’re looking to put your hiking shoes on, Stawamus Chief is a great way to work up your appetite. Also known as “The Chief”, this area is north of Squamish. To get to the top you must hike 1 and a half hours – but it’s well worth it! The views of Howe Sound, the Squamish Valley and the Garibaldi Highlands are just amazing!
No picnic is complete without potato salad! Here’s my very own recipe for you guys to try out – it’s delicious!
- 8-10 red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/3 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- Fresh dill ( I use about 3 tbsps)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place your eggs in a pot of water and boil for about 10 minutes. Let them cool, then cut into chunks.
- Place the potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 12 minutes, or until they slide off of a fork when you pierce them. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Chop up your celery, onions, green pepper and red pepper into small pieces. Cut your potatoes into chunks as well after they have cooled.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, eggs, vegetables and dill together. Pour over the potatoes, and gently toss to coat. Chill at least 3 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
That’s it! Hope try out this recipe and enjoy one of the picnic locations! If you don’t try the potato salad, there will be a ton of it at the INTERNeX BBQ KICK-OFF (hint hint).